Absolute LoJack: Using Absolute LoJack to Protect Your Windows Laptop
This document explains how to use Absolute LoJack for Laptops® to help in the recovery of your Windows laptop in the event of theft or loss. LoJack is a software application available at no cost to University of Pittsburgh students and allows your laptop to be traced in the event that it is ever lost or stolen. LoJack is available via the Software Download Service at My Pitt.
What is LoJack?
Absolute LoJack for Laptops is a service that tracks, locates, and assists the recovery process in the event that laptops are stolen or lost. You report the loss or theft to local police authorities, contact Absolute, and let the software installed on your computer work behind the scenes to silently and securely send its location to the Absolute Monitoring Center using any internet connection. The Absolute Recovery Team then tracks your computer’s location and partners with local law enforcement to get your computer back. The Absolute LoJack for Laptops software is tamper-resistant and not easily removed by traditional tools and procedures. The software can only be removed by an authorized user with the correct password. Each license of the Absolute LoJack for Laptops software is unique and can only be installed on one computer.
For more information about a theft or loss of laptop report, visit the “Reporting a Lost or Stolen Laptop” section of this document.
Installation and Registration Tips
To install Absolute LoJack, please make sure that your Windows laptop meets the following minimum requirements:
- Windows 10 (64-bit and 32-bit versions), Windows 8.1 (64-bit and 32-bit versions), Windows 8.1 (64-bit and 32-bit versions), or Windows 7 (64-bit and 32-bit versions)
- Internet connection required
Please review the following recommendations to help you avoid problems during your installation.
Note: These suggestions should be followed on a temporary basis only and should be turned back on once LoJack for Laptops has been installed.
- Disable personal firewall – If you have a personal firewall installed, it is advised that you disable it temporarily during the installation of Absolute LoJack for Laptops. Please refer to your firewall software’s documentation for more details.
- Disable antivirus software – Sometimes antivirus software products incorrectly identify Absolute LoJack for Laptops as a virus. To insure a successful installation, CSSD recommends that you temporarily disable your antivirus software.
During the LoJack installation process you will be asked to register your laptop.
Please remember that registration is only good one time for a single laptop. You cannot use the same license to register multiple times.
Please be sure to record and store your password in a safe location and not on any protected computer.
Known Compatibility Issues
Phoenix Firstware Recovery Pro (Restore Utility) users – Absolute LoJack for Laptops is not compatible with this application that is shipped as a standard component on Averatec, Asus, Twinhead, and Systemax laptops. Please note that installing Absolute LoJack for Laptops on these machines will cause a black screen after a system restart. If your laptop experiences this issue, contact Absolute Technical Support at 1-877-337-0337 Monday through Friday 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Pacific time (9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. EST).
McAfee product users - You must uninstall your McAfee product(s) before installing LoJack on a laptop. Absolute has determined that completely uninstalling your McAfee products is the only way to successfully install LoJack. Once LoJack is installed you can reinstall your McAfee product(s).
Installing and Registering LoJack
To install LoJack on your Windows laptop, complete the following steps:
- Log into the Software Download Service via My Pitt. Click on the LoJack for Laptops for Windows (Win) entry. It is listed under Absolute Software.
- Click on the Retrieve License Key(s) button to reveal the current registration code for Pitt students. Write down this code or copy it to a temporary location on your PC so you can copy and paste it later. You will need this code to activate and register the LoJack software
- Click the here link where the instructions say to "Download LoJack for your operating system." It will take you to the Absolute download page at lojack.absolute.com/en/support/download-install.
- On the LoJack download screen, look for the "Windows & Macintosh Users" section and click the Create Account link under Absolute LoJack.
- Enter your first and last name into the fields on the "Create Your Account" page. Make sure to enter your University email address into the "Email" and "Confirm Email" fields. Create a unique password that you will use in the future to log into the LoJack website and enter this string into the "Password" and "Confirm Password" fields. When all of the fields are filled in, click on the "Create Account" button.
- Enter the registration code that you copied from the Software Download Service LoJack page and click the Submit button.
- On the "Download" screen, click on the button link for PC Download. Click the I Agree button on the ensuing "End User Service Agreement" pop-up window. You will have to scroll to the bottom of the window to make the button active.
- The download will initiate from the Absolute page. Click Run from the Windows warning dialog box that appears.
- Click the Yes button when prompted "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer" by the "User Account Control" dialog box.
- Click the Next button on the "Welcome to the Absolute Installer" box.
- Make sure to click on the checkbox on the "Congratulations, you're almost done" box and then click Continue.
- A small box displaying "Assigning ESN" will appear briefly. The Absolute installer window will then install the software and close.
- The installer will then open a browser window that will prompt you to enter additional information for your profile with Absolute. This information will be used to contact you if your laptop is reported as lost or stolen. Fill in all of the fields including a four-digit PIN that you will need to perform several critical functions on the Absolute Customer Center website. Make sure to enter a PIN that you can easily remember and record it somewhere where you can access it easily in the future. Once you have entered information into all of the fields, click the Finish button.
- The Absolute Customer Center window will appear. This screen has information about your LoJack registration including:
- Registration Code
- Expiration Date
- Laptop Status (should show “protected” in green letters)
- Computer Make and Model
- Serial Number
- Any Actions Required
CSSD recommends that you use the Print License button to print a copy of your license information. This link will appear after you click the More button. When you are finished, click the Logout link in the upper right side of the web browser window.
Reporting a Lost or Stolen Laptop
If your Absolute LoJack for Laptops equipped computer is stolen, you will need to report it as soon as possible. It is vital that you complete the following steps:
- Within seven days of the loss or theft, file a police report with the local law enforcement agency authorities where the theft or loss occurred.
If the loss or theft occurred on the University of Pittsburgh campus, file a report with the Campus Police Department.
If the loss or theft occurred off campus, file a report with the local police department.
Be sure to obtain a copy of the police report and the police report case number.
- Contact the Absolute LoJack Recovery Team and report your computer as stolen. You will need to provide the following:
- Your police report case number
- Contact information (for example, name and address)
- Computer specifications (for example, make and model)
- Details about the theft or loss (for example, time and location)
- The Recovery Team can be contacted in one of the following ways:
- Log into the Absolute Customer Center using your Pitt email address and the password that you entered in step 5. File a report by clicking the Recover tab, filling in all of the fields on the page, and clicking the Request Recovery button.