PittNet(Wireless): Requesting Guest Wireless Access
This help sheet explains the steps for requesting wireless guest access. For an overview of the request and approval process, please refer to the help sheet titled Guest Wireless Access Overview.
Step 1: Submitting a Request Online
- Open a Web browser to https://guestwireless.pitt.edu/newguestrequest.aspx. Complete the request form and click the Submit button. Note: You will need to provide the University Computer Account username of the faculty or staff member who will act as your Host. If you do not know the username, please contact your Host to obtain it.
- After you submit the form, the following screen will display indicating that your request has been successfully submitted. You will need to confirm your request before it can be sent to your host.
- You will receive a confirmation email from the Technology Help Desk at the email address that you entered on the Guest Access Request form. Click the link provided in the email.
- A Web page will display prompting you to confirm your request. Click the Verify button.
- The window below will display indicating that you have verified your request. Your Host will now receive an email message asking him or her to respond to your request. After the Host approves your request, you will receive an email message with instructions for completing the registration process.
Step 2: Receiving Approval and Completing the Registration Process
- After the Host approves your request, you will receive an email message with instructions for completing your registration. Click the link provided in the text of the message.
- Read the Acceptable Use Policy and click Accept.
- Next, you will be prompted to set the password that you will use to log in to Wireless PittNet. Enter a password in the New Password field and enter it again in the Confirm Password field. Then select a security question and answer. The security question will be used in the event that you forget your password. Click the Set Password button.
- The following screen will display indicating that you have successfully set your password. Click the Close button.
Step 3: Logging in to the Guest Wireless PittNet Network
- When you arrive on campus, take your laptop computer to a location where wireless service is available. You can visit technology.pitt.edu for a complete list of access locations.
- Open the software that you use to manage your wireless network card (usually found in the system tray of Windows computers). Select the GUEST-WIRELESS-PITTNET network and connect to it.
- Open a Web browser. The following Guest Login window will display.
- In the Email field, enter the email address that you used when you completed the Guest Access Request form. In the Password field, enter the password that you set. Click the Login button to connect to the Guest Wireless PittNet network.
Note: If you arrive on campus without first setting your password, log in by entering your email address in the lower half of the page. If your request has been approved, you will be prompted to accept the Acceptable Use Policy and set your password at this time. If your request has not been approved yet, you will need to obtain approval from your Host before you can proceed.