Using the Voice Mail to Email Service
Voice Mail to Email is available to faculty and staff and can be used with either My Pitt Email. It will automatically send your voice mail messages to email. Messages that you read will be marked as read in both your voice mail and email simultaneously, and messages that you delete will be deleted in both your voice mail and email simultaneously.
Note: Please keep in mind that the number of messages in your email Inbox affects the time it takes to retrieve your voice messages by phone. For example, if your email Inbox contains 5,000 messages, you can expect a delay of seven to ten seconds when you call to check for new voice messages. The delay increases three to five seconds for every 1,000 messages above 5,000 in your email Inbox. If you experience a delay when accessing your voice messages by phone, reducing the size of your email Inbox can help shorten the time it takes to retrieve messages. You can also contact the Technology Help Desk at 412 624-HELP  to discuss other options.
Listening to Voice Mail Messages on Your Computer or Mobile Device
To listen to a voice mail message through your email:
- Log in to your email client or access your email through My Pitt (my.pitt.edu).
- Double click an email message. The Subject line will read "Voice Message from [individual's name]".
- Double click the Voice.wav file that is attached to the message.
- The default audio player will open and the audio file will begin playing. Once you have listened to your voice mail message, you save it or delete it just like any other email message.
- When you are finished, close the media player and the email application.
Replying to Voice Mail to Email Messages
You can reply to a voice mail message via email if:
- Both you and the person who sent the message use My Pitt email
- Both you and the person who sent the message have opted in to Voice Mail to Email
Click the Reply button to send a response to the individual who sent the voice mail. The individual's email address will display in the To: field. Type your reply and click Send.
Important: If you click Reply and the address email@example.com displays in the To: field, it means that you cannot reply to the voice mail message via email. If you attempt to send a reply, you will receive a Delivery Failure notification that says:
"Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists. The recipient's email address was not found in the recipient's email system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the email address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator. The following organization rejected your message: Postini."