What is pitt.box.com?
All University of Pittsburgh students, faculty, and staff have access to Box, a secure cloud storage solution that provides unlimited storage space as well as numerous collaboration features. Users can invite others to collaborate on group projects, share files with a simple Web link, add comments alongside documents, and assign tasks with due dates - all from anywhere you have Web access. Box can be used with almost any smartphone or tablet. Box archives all the revisions made to a file and enables users to sync files to their desktop.
How might you use Box? Here are some ideas.
Leave your flash drive at home: Your files are stored securely in the cloud so that you can access them anywhere at any time.
Send big files fast: Have a file that's too big to email? Upload it to Box and share it with a link.
Collaborate on a project: Need to work on a group project for class? With Box, everyone can view and edit files in one location. Add comments right alongside the files. Assign tasks with due dates. Receive real-time updates when someone edits or comments on a document. View previous versions of files. Box is a more efficient way to manage group work because it puts an end to "reply all" email chains and endless file attachments.
Store it all and stay organized: You don't have to share files on Box. You can just use it as your own personal storage space. And Box makes it easy to find everything you store. Organize files into folders, just like you do on your computer. Search for specific text within your files. Tag your files with keywords so that you can quickly find what you need.
Note: Box uses state-of-the-art technology and industry best practices for data encryption during transit to and from the Box cloud, as well as while stored within Box. However, some types of data should not be stored on Box.
Upload Files and Folders
- Upload files and folders Old Box Experience New Box Experience
- Download files (to edit on your computer)
- Troubleshoot file upload issues Old Box Experience New Box Experience
Share and Collaborate
- Send and share files Old Box Experience New Box Experience
- Set access permissions for my shared links Old Box Experience New Box Experience
- Set collaborator permissions Old Box Experience New Box Experience
- Comment on a file Old Box Experience New Box Experience
- Assign tasks and due dates Old Box Experience New Box Experience
- View a previous version of a file Old Box Experience New Box Experience
- Recover a deleted file or folder Old Box Experience New Box Experience
- Preview a shared file before downloading it Old Box Experience New Box Experience
Organize and Search Your Files
- Search the text of files stored on Box Old Box Experience New Box Experience
- Tag files with keywords Old Box Experience New Box Experience
Sync Files Between Box and Your Computer
- Install Sync for Windows and Mac Old Box Experience New Box Experience
- Using Box Sync Old Box Experience New Box Experience
- Box Sync FAQ
Adjust Your Preferences
- Set my email notification preferences Old Box Experience New Box Experience
- Change my name and/or add a photo Old Box Experience New Box Experience
Use Box with Mobile Devices
Frequently Asked Questions
Useful Apps Developed by Box
- Box Edit
Edit content directly on Box using native applications installed on your computer
- Box for Office
Edit and share Microsoft Office without leaving your Office programs
- Box for Outlook
Send files using sharing links and save attachments in Microsoft Outlook
- Web Documents
Create, edit, and share documents in a Web browser
- Box FTP
Establish a secure connection to Box via FTP for batch file transfers
- View all official Box apps
- 10-02-04 Computer Data Administration
- 10-02-05 Computer Access and Use
- 10-02-06 UACD Security Privacy
- 10-02-08 Use and Management of SSN and UPI Numbers
- Acceptable Computing Access and Use Statement
- Box Terms of Service
- Guideline for determining what types of data can be stored on Box
- Student Code of Conduct