What is pitt.box.com?
All University of Pittsburgh students, faculty, and staff have access to Box, a secure cloud storage solution that provides 50 GB of storage space as well as numerous collaboration features. Users can invite others to collaborate on group projects, share files with a simple Web link, add comments alongside documents, and assign tasks with due dates - all from anywhere you have Web access. Box can be used with almost any smartphone or tablet. Box archives all the revisions made to a file and enables users to sync files to their desktop.
How might you use Box? Here are some ideas.
Leave your flash drive at home: Your files are stored securely in the cloud so that you can access them anywhere at any time.
Send big files fast: Have a file that's too big to email? Upload it to Box and share it with a link.
Collaborate on a project: Need to work on a group project for class? With Box, everyone can view and edit files in one location. Add comments right alongside the files. Assign tasks with due dates. Receive real-time updates when someone edits or comments on a document. View previous versions of files. Box is a more efficient way to manage group work because it puts an end to "reply all" email chains and endless file attachments.
Store it all and stay organized: You don't have to share files on Box. You can just use it as your own personal storage space. And Box makes it easy to find everything you store. Organize files into folders, just like you do on your computer. Search for specific text within your files. Tag your files with keywords so that you can quickly find what you need.
Note: Box uses state-of-the-art technology and industry best practices for data encryption during transit to and from the Box cloud, as well as while stored within Box. However, some types of data should not be stored on Box.
Upload Files and Folders
- Upload files
- Upload folders
- Download files (to edit on your computer)
- Troubleshoot file upload issues
Share and Collaborate
- Send and share files
- Set access permissions for my shared links
- Create a collaboration folder
- Set collaborator permissions
- Comment on a file
- Assign tasks and due dates
- View a previous version of a file
- Recover a deleted file or folder
- Preview a shared file before downloading it
Organize and Search Your Files
Sync Files Between Box and Your Computer
- Install Sync for Windows
- Install Sync for Mac
- Sync from Desktop to Box
- Sync from Box to Desktop
- Watch It: Box Sync Video Overview
- Box Sync FAQ
Adjust Your Preferences
Use Box with Mobile Devices
Frequently Asked Questions
Useful Apps Developed by Box
- Box Edit
edit content directly on Box using native applications installed on your computer
- Box for Office(video demo)
edit and share Microsoft Office without leaving your Office programs
- Box for Outlook (video demo)
send files using sharing links and save attachments in Microsoft Outlook
take and upload screenshots directly to Box; upload files directly from your desktop
- Web Documents
create, edit, and share documents in a Web browser
- View all official Box apps
- 10-02-04 Computer Data Administration
- 10-02-05 Computer Access and Use
- 10-02-06 UACD Security Privacy
- 10-02-08 Use and Management of SSN and UPI Numbers
- Acceptable Computing Access and Use Statement
- Box Terms of Service
- Guideline for determining what types of data can be stored on Box
- Student Code of Conduct