Access to specialized, high-speed research networks permit faculty at the University of Pittsburgh to collaborate with colleagues and work on advanced projects. Researchers at the University have access to the Internet2 network, and the Energy Sciences Network.
The University of Pittsburgh is also a charter member of KINBER, the Keystone Initiative for Network-Based Education and Research, and is actively engaged in the establishment of the Pennsylvania Research and Education Network (PennREN).
We have designed a special research firewall zone to meet the advanced collaboration requirements of the University's research community. Its purpose is to support collaboration with external parties while protecting the University's computing environment.
Our Network Operations Center hosts the Center for Simulation and Modeling's high-performance computing cluster, which helps to facilitate computational-based research across the University.
The University's membership in the InCommon Federation enables anyone at Pitt to use their University Computing Account username and password to access resources from the National Institutes of Health, EDUCAUSE, and other national organizations.
Relevant Policies and Guidelines
- 07-02-06 Security of Electronic Medical Records - Compliance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA)
- 10-02-04 Computer Data Administration
- 10-02-05 Computer Access and Use
- 10-02-06 UACD Security Privacy
- 10-02-08 Use and Management of SSN and UPI Numbers
- Acceptable Computing Access and Use Statement
- Network Usage Standards
- Wireless Network Standard