AskCathy (askcathy.pitt.edu) is your go-to resource to help you search and find the University services and information you need.
University services that are available through AskCathy are displayed as rectangular icons called Tasks. Search for what you know and let AskCathy help you find new and interesting information. Some tasks will require you to log in to access the service or restricted content. Once you log in to a task using Pitt Passport, you won’t need to log in to access others.
AskCathy is still under development, but has many benefits:
- Find it in a flash: Relevant search results populate as you type.
- Take it with you: Enjoy an interface that is optimized for your phone or tablet.
- Personalize your page: Favorite tasks and move them to the top of your page by clicking the heart icon next to any task.
- Discover new services: Click the information icon on a task to view more information about it, including related tasks. You can also click the Browse categories link below the search bar to view groups of related tasks.
Three Easy Steps to Get Started Using AskCathy:
1. Choose one of the following options to access AskCathy:
- Option A - Go to askcathy.pitt.edu, then Sign in, enter a keyword in the What would you like to Ask Cathy? search bar, select Browse Categories, and select a specific Role.
- Option B - Go to my.pitt.edu, login using your University Computer account username and password, enter a key word in the "Need help finding something? Ask Cathy! search bar or click on the askCathy Cathedral image on the right-hand column to view tasks.
2. Click Help to view Help Text, or See More to locate a task within the My Favorites, My Recently Used, Most Popular or Category of the Day tasks.
Share Your Feedback
Do you have a task in mind that you would like to see added to AskCathy? Do you have a suggestion or some feedback you would like to share? We want to hear from you.
More Ways to Get the Most from AskCathy:
Getting Help with Using AskCathy
The following are some additional tips to help you get started with using AskCathy to find the University services and information that you are looking for:
1. View Help within search results.To view help at any time, with how to use Ask Cathy select the Sign In drop-down menu, and click Help.
Help text displays and is available while viewing any information within AskCathy. Public services are displayed as tasks that anyone can view as well as services that require login using Pitt Passport (the University’s Single Sign-On service) for up to four hours. Access to tasks for website or web service tasks is specific to role. The following actions can be performed:
- Enter Your Search using (Search) Tags: Additional keywords or commonly used terms that will aid with search.
- View a Category: Allow you to bucket tasks for easy browsing, if desired.
- Select Your Role(s): The groups or types of users that will access AskCathy (e.g., student, staff, faculty, parent).
- Markets/Campuses: A way of organizing tasks that relate to specific campus sites or departments.
- Click to launch/view Tasks: The descriptive tiles that provide info and direct links to the various services available on campus.
Getting Started Help
Performing a Task Help
- View details such as Contacts: The person or department responsible for questions/concerns about a specific task.
- Add to, or remove from Favorites: Allow you to personalize to quickly access tasks by adding, removing from your favorites.
- See all in Categories: Allow you to view the created bucket tasks for easy browsing, if desired.
- Personalize AskCathy: Select preferences task launch, featured carousel view or disable animated live data on tiles.
2. Browse Categories and View Task Centers: Select Browse Categories, and then the desired category name(eg. IT Services) to filter and view tasks specific to that University service or information category. Task centers are a collection of related tasks. For example, all items related to Freshman Orientation or Services for Retired Staff.
3. Filter to view tasks By Role or Favorites: Select your role from the All Roles drop-down menu, to filter and view tasks specific to your affiliation type or Sign In then select My Favorites. Select See More to view all tasks.
Note: Access to University services and information is specific to permissions granted by role. You much first select the heart icon to include in group of My Favorites.