Digital Voice/Unified Communications (Skype for Business)
Skype for Business provides unified communication that combines traditional voice calling with video, web conferencing, instant messaging, desktop sharing, real-time presence, and more. This powerful tool also integrates with My Pitt Email, Microsoft Office and the global University directory.
The University is in the midst of a multi-year project to migrate phone service to this new digital platform that runs entirely on the data network. This will eventually allow the University to retire the dedicated (Avaya) telephone service and network, realizing significant cost savings while providing a modern, feature-rich next generation telephony service.
This upgrade provides a number of benefits, including:
- Establishing a standard set of communication and collaboration tools across the University that support the way we work today.
- Enabling faculty and staff to update phone features at any time through convenient self-service options.
- Allowing calls to reach faculty and staff anywhere, not just at an on-campus office.
Ensure you have the latest version of Skype for Business installed on your computer:
- Download the Skype for Business application (requires login to the Software Download Service) and install it on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Sign-in to the Skype for Business application on your computer:
- Launch Skype for Business from your start menu or desktop icon.
- Sign-in with your primary firstname.lastname@example.org email address and, if prompted, enter your University Computing Account password.
- Sign in to your handset:
Helpful How-to Links for Common Phone Tasks
Getting to know a new technology can be challenging, especially when the replaced technology is as simple to use as a desktop telephone. The following links will provide instructions on some of the most commonly-asked questions from new users of the digital voice system.
- Transferring a Call to Another Number
- Checking Your Voicemail
- Changing Your Voicemail Greeting
- Forwarding Your Calls using the Polycom Handset
- Merging Two Calls using the Polycom Handset
- Creating a Conference Call
- Adding Favorites to Your Phone Display
- Reviewing Your Call History
- Setting up Simultaneous Ring to Another Number (Such as a Mobile Phone)
- Disabling Reminders on Your Phone
Additional Digital Voice Help Links
More detailed Polycom phone and Skype for Business instructions and videos are below: