Emergency Notification Service
The University's Emergency Notification Service (ENS) provides University students and employees with critical information in the event of an emergency—using voice, text, and email channels. Delivery of these emergency alert messages is handled by Police Department communications specialists and is directed by the Chief of Police. Computing Services and Systems Development provides support and guidance for the usage of this service.
The Emergency Notification Service is designed for use with portable devices and is only one aspect of a layered approach to notifying the University community of emergencies. While ENS is not the sole means of communicating with the University community in the event of an emergency, all University students, faculty, and staff are eligible to subscribe and strongly encouraged to do so. Each subscriber can designate up to three contact numbers and specify text and/or voice messages.
Note: The University does not charge a fee to subscribe to this service. However, you are responsible for any messaging fees from your mobile phone/device provider.
How do I subscribe?
Everyone at the University is subscribed to receive email alerts from ENS. You can also subscribe to receive text and voice message alerts:
- Log in to http://pi.tt/rave. (You can also log in to http://accounts.pitt.edu and click Emergency Notification System.)
- Click Add next to Mobile Phones and enter your phone number.
- If you want to receive both text and voice alerts, leave the box checked next to Enable Voice Message Delivery. If you only want to receive text alerts, uncheck this box. Click Continue.
- Select your carrier from the drop-down list. Click Continue.
- The system will send a confirmation code to your mobile phone. Enter the code in the Confirmation Code field and click Continue.
- A confirmation screen displays indicating your phone number has been subscribed. A confirmation text message is also sent.
You can also subscribe by texting pitt sub yourusername ens to 41411. For example, if your University Computing Account username is jdoe99, you would text pitt sub jdoe99 ens to 41411.
Note: NotifyU and ENS share the same interface. This means that if you subscribe to a NotifyU list, the phone number you subscribe will also receive ENS alerts. Similarly, the phone numbers you subscribe to receive ENS alerts will also receive updates from any NotifyU lists you have joined.
Note: It is your responsibility to ensure your information is accurate and up-to-date.