Pitt VPN (Secure Remote Access)
The Secure Remote Access service provides students, faculty, and staff with the ability to connect to restricted University resources while off campus, using Wireless PittNet, or using Wireless-PittNet-Fast. The service encrypts traffic between a user's computer and the University's network. Access can also be configured for specific needs, such as departmental file servers. Secure Remote Access can also be used to create SSL-based VPN connections to access information sources that reside behind University firewalls. The service includes a security check or "health check" to help ensure that remote computers accessing University machines do not pass on viruses, worms, and other security threats. The service can be used through the Network Connect connection method. Network Connect allows faculty and staff access to departmental servers and databases which reside behind Enterprise Network Firewalls. Your Responsibility Center Administrator can tell you more about specific services available in your department. You must request Network Connect by calling the Technology Help Desk at 412 624-HELP . A connection to the Secure Remote Access Service can be established on a desktop or mobile device. You must have a device registered for multifactor authentication before you can complete establishing a secure connection.
Off-campus access to most articles, ebooks, electronic journals, and databases is available only to current Pitt students, faculty, and staff. These can include such as online journals and other content through www.library.pitt.edu or www.hsls.pitt.edu. The EZProxy service can be used to access restricted University Library System e-resources from off campus or via a wireless network connection. You will be prompted to log in, while searching library e-resources. EZProxy detects when login is needed .Learn more >
- Access to restricted resources: Securely access a private network and share data remotely through public networks.
- Network connectivity via a private network: Create a virtual private network (VPN) to establish an encrypted network connection.
- Improved security: Assist with ensuring University network security while connected on and off-campus.
- Privacy protection: Use for added safety and confidentiality to public and private network connections such as during internet or wireless network use.
- Better network connectivity: Easily and quickly establish long-distance and secure network connections.
- The Pulse client is required for establishing a remote desktop connection to your office computer or for accessing departmental databases and servers that reside behind network firewalls. This can be obtained via the Software Download Service at My Pitt or download on the Apple App Store (iOS), the Google Play store (Android) and the Microsoft app store (Windows Phone). Note: The Pulse Secure client is available for download at technology.pitt.edu/pulseclient for individuals who do not have access to the Software Download Service through My Pitt. No University login is required.
- Specific security features must be active on your computer while using the Secure Remote Access service. Before connecting through the Network Connect connection method, your computer will be scanned by a Health Check. The Health Check will check your computer for the following items:
- Operating system is Windows Vista Service Pack 1, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10.
Note: Macintosh and Linux systems pass the Health Check.
- A software firewall must be installed and enabled on your computer.
- Microsoft Automatic Software Update turned on so you can receive the latest security patches.
- The latest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) with LiveUpdate turned on so you can receive the latest virus definitions. Or alternately a compatible antivirus software program is installed (see our help sheet for details). Most purchased antivirus programs are supported and many free versions of AV programs are not recommended or supported. Some older antivirus and personal firewall products will no longer pass.
Note: The SEP tool is the University's recommended and officially supported antivirus solution. It can be downloaded at no cost via the Software Download Service at My Pitt (my.pitt.edu).