Student Information System (PeopleSoft)
Information Technology provides system administration and development support for Student Information System (PeopleSoft), a comprehensive suite of software specifically designed for higher education institutions. Authorized University staff use the system to manage the entire student lifecycle - from recruiting and admissions to student services through graduation - in a secure environment that provides Web-based access from any location.
Faculty can use online tools to securely view their teaching schedule, check class rosters, record grades, and view course information. Students can use similar tools to securely register for classes, check their grades, view class schedules, and pay tuition.
There are five general areas or "modules" within the Student Information System:
- Admissions: Defines program-based admissions requirements. Each program can have separate requirements, calculations, and admissions processes.
- Campus Community: Enables users to maintain and manage a wide range of biographic and demographic information on people and organizations of interest to the University.
- Financial Aid: Supports the local management and awarding of federal aid, departmental aid, and scholarship funds.
- Student Records: Supports the automation of the student records maintenance process, beginning with comprehensive definitions of the course catalog and schedule of classes. Enables the creation of enrollment controls and the generation of grade rosters and transcripts.
- Student Financials: Tracks student disbursements, charges and payments---including third party payments---and collections, with comprehensive refund calculation rules based on both local and government refund policies.
Since the information contained in this system is critical to a number of departments at the University, it must be centrally maintained. In addition, the data is considered protected data and must meet specific security criteria for storage and access.
PeopleSoft Mobile enables students, faculty, and advisors to access the most commonly used features of the Student Information System with their smartphone or tablet. Students, faculty, and staff can access the service through the PeopleSoft Mobile link on My Pitt (my.pitt.edu) or by downloading the Pitt PS Mobile app from the Pitt App Store.
For mobile device access to the most frequently used functions of the Student Information System, click here to receive more information: PeopleSoft Mobile.
Requesting Access to the Student Information System (PeopleSoft)
Access to the Student Information System and Data Warehouse are governed by a Federated Authorization process that is designed to ensure users have access only to the data they require to fulfill their University responsibilities.
Information Technology has developed an online Federated Authorization process that makes requesting access faster and easier. It retains all the security and auditing benefits of the paper-based federated authorization process while eliminating the need to print paper forms, obtain handwritten signatures, and fax forms to additional approvers.
This Web page explains the online request process in detail.
Requesting Access Online
- End user: Person for whom access is being requested.
- Security Contact: Individuals designated by their University unit to ensure authorized employees have access only to the PeopleSoft data needed to perform their jobs.
View all Security Contacts >
- University Data Steward: Individuals responsible for granting additional approval when a certain level of access is requested.
- CSSD Security Analyst: Computing Services and Systems Development staff members responsible for reviewing and granting final approval to all access requests.
The Request Process in 60 Seconds
Watch a quick overview of the online request process from start to finish.
Step-by-Step Request Process
|1.||The Security Contact submits the online request form at My Pitt on behalf of the end user.
(Click the link above and log in to My Pitt. In the right-hand column, enter a username under "Access for a user in my area" and then click Federated Authorization Request.)
|2.||The end user receives an email notification, reviews the digital form, and signs it.|
|3.||The Data Steward receives an email notification (if necessary), reviews the digital form, and signs it.||View details|
|4.||The CSSD Security Analyst receives an email notification, reviews the digital form, and signs it.|
|5.||The end user and Security Contact receive an email notification confirming access has been granted.|
Note: When requesting access for a new user, you may sometimes want the new user's access to be similar to the access of a current user. You can look up an existing user's roles in PeopleSoft and use them as a reference when completing step 1 above.
Office of the University Registrar PeopleSoft Training
The Office of the University Registrar provides administrative users of the Student Information System (PeopleSoft) with a variety of support and training resources. You can visit their Web page to view video and PDF training for materials for the Student Information System.
Browser Certification Information for Peoplesoft Enterprise PeopleTools
The following information is provided for identifying certified browsers that can use PeopleSoft Enterprise People Tools.
|Google Chrome||43||Minimum Version|
|Microsoft Edge||25.10586||Minimum Version|
|Microsoft Internet Explorer||11||Minimum Version|
|Mozilla Firefox||42,38ESR||Minimum Version|
|Mobile Browser||Mobile Browser Version||Notes|
|Apple iOS||8||Minimum Version|
|Google Android||5||Minimum Version|
Last Updated: 7/3/2017