Student Technical Consultants are available to provide technical support. Service is provided by appointment or walk-in. To schedule an appointment, contact the Technology Help Desk at 412-624-HELP . Walk-in service is available at the University Store on Fifth or Towers Lobby. If you live in the residence halls, Student Technical Consultants are also available to provide in-room technical support.
Please review the following guidelines for use of this service.
Technical Consulting Service Guidelines
- Service is provided by appointment or walk-in. To schedule an appointment, contact the Technology Help Desk at 412-624-HELP . Walk-in service is available at the Towers Lobby Support Center or the University Store on Fifth.
- Support services include software installation and upgrades, networking assistance, data backup and recovery, virus and spyware removal, and general software troubleshooting.
- Hardware repair services are not provided. If the consultants determine during troubleshooting that your problem is hardware-related, they may recommend possible third-party solutions.
- Networking support is provided for wireless access to PittNet only. Assistance is not provided for problems that involve outside Internet Service Providers (ISP), such as Comcast, Verizon, or AOL. Contact your ISP for assistance with problems involving these services.
Before your support appointment, you should:
- Review the University's Computing Support Guidelines.
- Back up your data prior to your appointment.
When reporting for your support appointment at Towers Lobby or the University Store on Fifth, please:
- Present your University of Pittsburgh student ID card when you arrive for your appointment.
- Bring your computer, your computer charger, and any unique peripherals to the appointment. The consultant area supplies standard PC and Mac monitors, mice, and keyboards for troubleshooting purposes.
- Bring the original software or license verification for any software being installed.
- Arrive on time for your scheduled appointment.
During a residence hall in-room appointment, please:
- Remain in your room at all times while the consultant is working on your computer.
- All in-room consultations are 60 minutes in length. If more time is required to troubleshoot a problem, a follow-up appointment will be scheduled. This can be another in-room appointment or you can bring your device for further assessment to the University Store on Fifth.
Customer Escalation Procedures
Student Technical Support is committed to providing you with the best possible service. In the event your questions or problems are still unresolved after consultation, please report your concerns to the Technology Help Desk at 412-624-HELP .