Hackers take advantage of vulnerabilities present in computer software and operating systems in order to use computers for illegal purposes, to vandalize systems, or to gain access to resources that they are not authorized to access.
The best defense against hackers is to:
- Ensure that your workstations and servers are behind an Enterprise network firewall.
- Keep software and operating systems up-to-date with the most current security patches.
- Use strong passwords that can't be easily guessed.
- Never share your computer user ID or your password.
- Use security tools that can detect or block hacker utilities.
If you believe your computer may have been compromised by a hacker, contact the Technology Help Desk at 412 624-HELP for assistance.